So. In a moment of craziness, drunkenness, sleeplessness, over-caffeination, or whatever it took to get you here, you decided to participate in NaNoWriMo this November. If you are truly a sadist (I claim this title) you are BACK for more! I liken it to childbirth… time takes away the pain and before you realize it, your back in those maternity panties! But wait. It’s now October 28th and you realize, time is NOT your friend! It’s not going to be your friend for the whole month of November!
Considering myself a giving and compassionate earthling, I feel compelled to offer some wisdom regarding NaNoWriMo experience. RUN. RUN FAST. RUN FAR. LEAVE YOUR COMPUTER, AND IPAD BEHIND!!!
Still here? Ok. Fine. Just remember, I tried to warn you. Your decision to move forward can only mean:
- You are a newbie and have no freaking idea what you have committed to do.
- You are not really committed but will go as far as you can, and say you tried.
- You love a challenge and won’t back down. At least not yet.
- You have writing a novel on your bucket list and know that this may be your last chance according to the end of world possibility.
- You are unemployed and think completing this task might be good on your resume and for your self-esteem. (I actually had someone tell me this was their reason).
- You have an idea for a novel you want to write and can’t seem to push it to the front of your priority list so you think this NaNoWriMo will be your best excuse to make it happen! <I love this one>
- Writing is your passion and you want to challenge yourself in every way possible because you know that the satisfaction is in the process!
Whatever your reason, trust me when I say this; whether you win NaNoWriMo or not, you will learn something about yourself. You might not want to know what you will know. But knowing is half the battle and will help you prepare for next years moment of insanity when you sign up to do it again!
I’d love to know your reason for participating in NaNoWriMo… leave it in the comments below and thanks for visiting!
Check back tomorrow, I’ll give you some NaNoWriMo tips and trick I have learned.